Online Curriculum and Teaching Programs at KU
The Department of Curriculum and Teaching at the KU School of Education and Human Sciences offers online master's degree, graduate certificate and licensure endorsement programs that can prepare education professionals to become better teachers, develop stronger curricula, support diverse students and confront critical issues facing today's classrooms. Our graduate program in curriculum and instruction is ranked #14 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.1 Our faculty members are widely respected for their academic research—so you'll learn tools and techniques that work, from experts who have theoretical and practical authority in their field. And our diverse faculty and student body share perspectives across racial, cultural, linguistic and socioeconomic backgrounds, preparing you to teach in an increasingly complex world yourself. You'll graduate from the Department of Curriculum and Teaching with the skills and expertise to serve as an educational leader in your classroom, your school, your district, and even on the state or national level.
Every day you teach, you inspire your students and instill in them the skills to grow into successful, independent adults. Studying at the graduate level can help you further cultivate your own leadership ability and deepen your understanding of your field—and it can open up opportunities to advance your career as well. Teachers with a master's degree often receive higher pay than those without, sometimes as much as $7,000 more per year, on average.2
The faculty were understanding and responsive to questions, whether they were about course content, philosophy, teaching pedagogy, or anything else. I really can't say enough about this program, the professors, and the content. It's all really top notch.
Curriculum and Instruction
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Establish strong foundations in reading and writing for PK-12 students. Learn the strategies you need to develop literacy and meet the needs of students in PK-12 classrooms.
Which online graduate program in reading education is right for you?
- I want a master's degree to pursue state licensure as a reading specialist. Explore the online master's reading specialist licensure track
- I want a master’s degree, but I am pursuing neither teacher licensure nor a position as a reading specialist (I have my teacher's license, I am an administrator, etc.). Explore the online master's in reading non-licensure track
- I have a master’s degree in education and I want to complete the requirements for state licensure as a reading specialist in the state of Kansas. Explore the online reading specialist licensure endorsement track
- I already have a master's degree or am not ready for a full master's program, but I want to learn more about literacy. Explore the online graduate certificate in reading education
Prepare to work with English-language learners from a multitude of cultures in your classrooms and schools. Enhance your ability to work with speakers of other languages across a wide range of settings and help your students make the most of the English language.
Which online graduate program in TESOL is right for you?
- I want a master's degree to pursue state licensure to teach English-language learners in a classroom setting. (Best for educators looking to transition to or start a career in TESOL) Explore the online master's in TESOL teacher track
- I want a master’s degree, but I am not pursuing TESOL licensure endorsement (Best for consultants, advocates, administrators, etc.). Explore the online master's in TESOL non-teacher track
- I am seeking neither initial licensure nor a master's degree, but I want to gain knowledge and the licensure endorsement to teach TESOL in a classroom setting (best for currently licensed teachers in states where additional licensure endorsement in TESOL is required). Explore the online TESOL licensure endorsement-only track
- I already have a master's degree or am not ready for a full master's program, but I want to learn more about teaching English-language learners. Explore the online graduate certificate in TESOL
- Retrieved on November 1, 2021, from usnews.com/education/online-education/university-of-kansas-155317
- Retrieved on November 1, 2021, from teacher.org/topic/teacher-salary-what-to-expect/
- Retrieved on November 1, 2021, from bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-6