Online master’s in education degrees at KU
Top-ranked programs you can afford
Choose the best
Invest in your future
Learn on your schedule
Hear straight from our students
Creating impactful online learning experiences that lead to improved career and classroom outcomes is a key focus of our online master’s degree program. Alum Sydney Castonguay credits her experiences as a KU student for bringing her new leadership roles, community connections, and a renewed enthusiasm for education.
I've made connections here that I didn't make in brick-and-mortar schools. This is the place to be if you want to build a caring community, and be truly knowledgeable, and feel like you have a solid foundation in education.
Master of Science in Education (M.S.E.) Programs
Curriculum & instruction programs
* Licensure track and non-licensure track are available
** Teacher track and non-teacher track are available
Special and inclusive education programs
**Master’s building leadership track and master’s non-licensure track are available
Education administration & leadership policy programs
*** Master's building leadership track and master's non-licensure track are available
Graduate Certificate Programs
Special and inclusive education programs
Educational administration & leadership policy programs
* This is a post-master’s certificate that leads to endorsement.
Licensure Endorsement Programs
Join a community of fellow educators
I think the largest challenge that we face and will always face as school administrators and I emphasize throughout my courses is the proactive and reflective approach to school leadership versus the impulsive and reactive approach. As an individual, I can only give you one perspective, but the more perspectives I receive by being reflective from the people who are offering them, I think the better decision is rendered and also the better there is a buy in from the staff and the community in protecting that organization. Driving that organization together, looking out for that organization.
The program has, I think, a wonderful balance of theory and practical application. A degree in educational administration really helps prepare you for positions of leadership in schools, as well as in school districts.
Dr. Joe Novak:
The ideal student for the program of educational leadership is any person who truly believes that they would like to make a difference at a larger level than within their classroom.
The University of Kansas School of Education and Human Sciences offers a variety of online master’s degree programs, graduate certificates and licensure endorsements to meet the needs of today's teachers, administrators, specialists and other education professionals.
Content and resources
Financial aid options
Frequently asked questions
Can I get my master’s in teaching or graduate certificate online?
Is a master’s degree in education worth it?
- Teaches you advanced topics that weren’t covered in your undergraduate classes
- Gives you an esteemed, industry-recognized title that conveys a broad skill set and deeper knowledge
- Provides insights into the education system and its policies and procedures
- Demonstrates to employers that you’re committed to your craft and invested in your professional growth
And, of course, there’s the pay. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, your earnings increase along with your master’s degree education; conversely, your likelihood of unemployment decreases. Indeed, alumni across all of our online graduate education programs reported a 36% average increase in salary within three years after graduating.3 Across the board, workers who hold master’s degrees earn 20% more than those with bachelor’s degrees, which, over time, can create a sizable difference in your quality of life.4
What can I do with a master’s in education?
- Preschool, elementary, middle school, high school, or special education teacher
- Curriculum developer
- Education consultant
- Instructional coordinator
- Education policy analyst
You can find more career options and salary information on our Careers page.
- Retrieved on February 6, 2023, from usnews.com/education/online-education/university-of-kansas-155317
- Retrieved on April 11, 2022, from teacher.org/topic/teacher-salary-what-to-expect
- Based on a limited sample of self-reported data from alumni of the University of Kansas School of Education and Human Services online programs in education from graduating cohorts between 2019 and 2021.
- Retrieved on April 11, 2022, from bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm