Online Graduate Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Finish in less than one year
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are some of the top in the field
A Top-Ranked School
Our School of Education is consistently ranked among the best by U.S. News & World Report, including the No. 1 Best Online Master's in Special Education Program in the nation.1
The graduate certificate in autism spectrum disorder is a focused and direct counterpart to our online master's in autism spectrum disorder, giving you a solid foundation of key knowledge and the opportunity to put what you learn into practice in a hands-on field experience.
The online graduate certificate in ASD is designed to help you:
- Assess and support children and youth with ASD
- Implement and evaluate evidence-based interventions and support strategies, enabling them to work more effectively with children and youth with ASD
- Connect assessment results to instruction and report assessment results in a way that is both technically accurate and transparent to laypeople and other school-based professionals
- 5 courses, 8 weeks per course, 13 credit hours
- As few as 8 to 10 months to completion
- Top 10 Best Education School (among public universities)1
- Complete your coursework anytime, anywhere through our innovative online format
- Apply with no GRE requirement for admission
- An observational field experience is required
All autism spectrum disorder graduate certificate online students will complete core coursework that gives them a full understanding of autism spectrum disorder as well as methods to work with and teach students with ASD.
This program also includes a field experience course, designed to provide an opportunity to observe services provided to children and youth with a range of autism spectrum disorders.
For more detailed information on the topics covered in this program, view the course listings.
Graduates of the online ASD graduate certificate program can apply their knowledge in a number of different roles. Many of our students are special education teachers, or autism or behavior specialists at the local or state level. Outside of education, students may utilize this knowledge working with Applied Behavior Analysis clinics, or in occupational therapy, speech pathology or music/art therapy.
*This online graduate certificate does not lead to initial nor advanced licensure in special education in the state of Kansas.
Note: In order to enroll in this program, a bachelor's degree is required. No program can guarantee licensure. It is each student’s responsibility to determine the licensure requirements in his or her state and to apply for the licenses or endorsements necessary to his or her career goals. Our department staff and licensure officer can provide individual support during the application process to help you understand your state’s requirements.
Online Graduate Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorder Course Descriptions
The online Graduate Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) teaches learning professionals how to effectively work with students across the autism spectrum. Read this page to learn more about the topics and courses available to those getting their Certificate in ASD at KU. Unless otherwise noted, all courses listed are worth 3 credits.
Please note: Course list and sequence are subject to change.
SPED 760 - INTRODUCTION TO AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER
View Full Description
SPED 785 - APPLICATION OF ASSESSMENT INFORMATION FOR EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN & YOUTH: AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER
SPED 790 - METHODS FOR LEARNERS WITH HIGHER-FUNCTIONING AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER
View Full Description
SPED 860 - EDUCATION OF CHILDREN & YOUTH WITH DISABILITIES: AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER
SPED 772 - OBSERVATION AND PARTICIPATION WITH CHILDREN AND YOUTH WITH AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER (1 CREDIT)
- Retrieved on February 5, 2021 from usnews.com/education/online-education/university-of-kansas-155317